The Associate Director/Senior Associate of Investments, based in Hong Kong, will support RS Group’s investment portfolio, with a focus on private market investments. This person will report and work closely with the Director of Investments, and alongside the executive team in Hong Kong as well as the group’s overseas advisors.
While this role will be a good fit for someone who is already active in impact investing, it will also be an excellent opportunity for someone who is passionate about impact investing. We welcome candidates with demonstrated passion who are looking to switch careers into one where they can make a difference by investing in funds and projects that generate tangible social and environmental impact.
This role will be dynamic, and the person will have opportunities to be involved in various projects and initiatives of RS Group. Thus, we welcome applications from individuals who enjoy new challenges and developing new skill sets. While the focus of this role is the private market, the person will also be exposed to the full spectrum of asset classes, grants and programs through the RS Group’s total portfolio.
This role will also provide an opportunity to contribute to the impact investing ecosystem, while broadening one’s exposure and network in the ESG and impact space both regionally and globally.
Roles and responsibilities
Supporting a wide range of investment activities and reporting to the Director of Investments as well as working closely alongside the executive team in Hong Kong (Managing Director, Director of Investments and Associate Investment Director, Senior Associate), including:
Investment portfolio management (60%)
- Work closely with Director of Investments and Investment advisor(s) on investment management of a diversified portfolio (i.e., asset allocation, liquidity planning, rebalancing, capital calls, and monitoring of underlying investments).
- Source and perform due diligence on new investment opportunities, including impact-driven direct investments and funds
- Support monitoring and reporting of existing investments
- Facilitate communication and preparation of materials for the investment committee, board members and internal administrative teams.
- Facilitate annual review of underlying fund managers in the portfolio, monthly investment calls and annual internal team meetings.
- Measure and manage impact at the portfolio level by consolidating impact indicators and working with underlying fund managers
- Represent RS Group in ongoing networking meetings and events with fund managers, entrepreneurs, organisations to stay updated on latest product universe and trends.
Strategy and research (30%)
- Participate in the research and design of impact strategies and implementation (utilizing both investment and philanthropic capital, and including the deployment of catalytic capital) in the portfolio.
- Support RS Group’s Natural Capital Initiative which aims to accelerate capital deployment in nature-based solutions in Asia by providing catalytic capital
- Participate or be exposed to RS Group’s overall activities (including philanthropic and advocacy initiatives)
- Assist other special projects and strategy development
- Support ad hoc assignments.
Knowledge management and convening (10%)
- Keeping content up-to-date (including minute taking, budgets, update contact list, filing of reports etc.).
- Assist in coordinating routine activities including monthly investment calls, annual team meetings, internal review and reporting materials.
- Participate in team’s weekly meetings (involving discussions across investment, philanthropy and special initiatives).
Development opportunities include
- Develop a career in sustainable/impact investments within a family office, active in the space since 2010
- Build knowledge and expertise in catalytic capital investing and blended finance.
- Get exposure to a broad range of climate mitigation and adaptation focused investments
- Get acclimated to a wide spectrum of investment products and acquire the requisite know-how on how to diligence, vet and monitor these strategies.
- Gain extensive exposure to a broad network of professionals in the sustainable and impact investing space (including investment managers, intermediaries, foundations, family offices etc.).
- Participate in local and overseas conferences, workshops and events to stay updated on the latest trends and developments.
Skills and requirements
- Experience with private market investments (PE/VC, direct deals, etc.) and ability to source, conduct due diligence and monitor such investments
- Experience in sustainable/SRI/ impact investing; experience is a plus, but not critical if there is a strong passion and desire to learn.
- Excellent project management skills with an attention to detail
- Comfortable and able to perform in an unstructured small-team environment, and flexible to manage a variety of projects in a timely and disciplined manner.
- Good interpersonal and communications skills (verbal and written). Able to work independently and proactively ask questions.
- An analytical mindset, both qualitative and quantitative. Can think broadly with an ability to switch between strategic and practical thinking.
- At ease with taking care of complex administrative tasks (including repetitive ones).
- Discrete individual with ability to handle confidential information.
Education and experience
- Min. 7+ years prior working experience relevant for the Associate Director position, mainly in Finance (Private Equity, Private Wealth Management, Asset Management, Corporate Finance, etc.). Candidates with less years of experience are also welcome to apply and may be considered for a Senior Associate position.
- Previous experience in a family office environment would be a plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or above (CFA is a plus).
- Good command of written and spoken English (Chinese is a plus).
- Salary and benefits commensurate with experience.
Interested parties please submit your CV, a brief cover letter along with your expected salary and available start date to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com, with the job title as the subject of the e-mail, before July 11th 2022.